ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT https://iowastatefair.artcall.org/
If an actual object does not “match” the digital image which has been accepted, (i.e. if the digital image has been manipulated
for appearance) then the actual object will not be accepted for exhibition.
For work to be considered for this exhibition it must meet the following requirements:
General rules listed on the Iowa State Fair website also apply in this department.
For work to be exhibited it must meet these requirements:
ADULT – persons age 19 and over, high school graduates regardless of age enter as adult (limit two entries)
YOUTH – persons age 14 to and including age 18 (limit two entries)
JUNIOR – persons age 9 to and including age 13 (limit two entries)
CHILDREN – persons age 3 to and including age 8 (limit one entry)
Please note: All work submitted by children between the ages of 3 and 8 will be displayed. However, due to space limitations these young artists may submit only one piece of work.
1. ACRYLIC/ TEMPERA
2. DRAWING - This category includes work rendered by hand with pencil, charcoal, ink or graphite. It does NOT include digitally enhanced
3. FIBER - Handwoven and/or hand decorated textiles are eligible. All articles must be handcrafted by the entrant only. The category
includes weaving, fiber construction, batik, tie dying, knotting, appliqué and trapunto. Work must be accompanied by a label for identification
and ready to hang or install.
4. GLASS - The definition of this category has been expanded to include but not to be limited to hand blown glass, mouth blown glass
various forms of hot glass.
5. JEWELRY - This category seeks entries which have been created by artists with a desire to create new forms and designs of personal
wear adornment. It can include assemblage (beading, repurposed materials and alternative non-metal construction) or it can include
hand formed (cast, forged, carved, solder assembly, cold connection, handmade glass work and enamel). Hand formed pieces are best
submitted to the Fine Art exhibition. Entrant is encouraged to submit a paragraph of the assemblage method used in creating their piece
with their entry submission. Those pieces which involve assemblage may be submitted to the Creative Arts & Crafts exhibition.
6. MIXED MEDIA - This category calls for art work which is created with more than one media, the use of which produces a fine art
product that conveys a sense of depth and width but involves no actual physical depth, other than that created by illusion. (If the product
involves actual physical depth, it may be submitted as a sculpture.)
7. OIL PAINTING
8. PASTELS - Includes both dry and oil based pastels.
9. POTTERY - Includes handmade earthenware, stoneware and porcelain. Delicately constructed work requiring more than normal careful
handling should not be submitted.
10. ORIGINAL HAND PULLED PRINTS - This category refers to hand pulled prints in the traditional areas of printmaking such as relief
printing, etching, intaglio, solarprints, monoprints, serigraphs. It does NOT refer to commercial reproduction processes such as the glicée
print or computer enhanced prints.
13. COLLABORATIVE WORK - This category calls for art work that is the result of two individuals collaborating to create one piece of
An email will be sent to entrants after the jury process is complete. Notification of results can be expected by July 1. A list of exhibitors who have one or more works accepted for display will be posted on the Iowa State Fair website at www.iowastatefair.org prior to the Reception. Complete results will be posted after the reception. The judges’ decisions are final.
SUBMITTING ACCEPTED WORK BY MAIL (DUE JULY 7)
SUBMITTING ACCEPTED WORK IN PERSON (DUE JULY 8)