Iowa State Fair Fine Arts Department
To Enter the 2020 Iowa State Fair Fine Arts Competition click on Current Calls For Entry above
Plein Air At The Fair
PLEIN AIR ELIGIBILITY & ENTRY RULES
ENTRY BEGINS: JUNE 1, 2020.
PARTICIPANTS MUST ENTER BY CLICKING ON EVENTS ABOVE
Two painting opportunities will be offered; August 13th from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and August 15th from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- There will be fifteen painters allowed to paint at each session. The computer entry system will take the first 15 entries for each session.
- You may only enter into one painting session. • Participants must be age 18 or older, and an Iowa resident.
- The registration fee is $25.00. Registration will include a fair entry ticket and a parking pass.
- Artists must supply their own substrate, supplies, and frame for displaying the art. The substrate must be blank at 9 am on August 13th/15th and be no larger than 18x24.
- Artists must check in at a location designated in an upcoming email at 9 a.m. on the painting day.
- Upon completion, artists will be required to fill out a form with the artists name, phone number, town of residence, title, medium, and to assign a sale price or not for sale designation.
- Pieces must be completed and turned in by 5 p.m. at the Fine Arts Office. They will be displayed for the remainder of the fair.
- Artists must work from subject matter at their assigned location. Location will be drawn from specific fair locations.
- Artists must use caution in setting up their work as to not restrict the flow of Fair traffic.
- If artwork is priced for sale the Fine Arts staff will provide the artist’s contact information to interested parties. Delivery must take place after the work has been picked up from the fair grounds.
- Images of submitted works become the property of the Iowa State Fair as a permanent record of the exhibition and for promotional use relating to the exhibition.
- Artists must be an adult resident of Iowa.
- If the medium is pastel, watercolor, or drawing it must be framed and covered for protection.
- If the substrate is canvas, the canvas should be ready to hang prior to being submitted at 5 p.m.
- Adhere to all rules in the Return of Work section: Entrants may claim work at the Cultural Center 7:15 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on August 23 or Monday, August 24 Noon to 6:00 p.m.
- The submitted piece of work will be part of the “Plein Air at the Fair” Viewer’s Choice Award.
- The fair public will cast their votes from August 17th – August 22nd, for their favorite piece.
- Each piece will be assigned a unique entry number, which will be the number used for voting.
- 1st place will be awarded $125.00
- 2nd place will be awarded $75.00
- 3rd will be awarded $50.00
- You may have two fine art entries and participate in one session of “Plein Air at the Fair”.